Your Basket

0 Courses £0.00

Landlord fined for no PAT Test

An 82 year old landlord has been fined £5,000 for supplying her tenant a faulty radiator which led to her death. The landlord who lives in Cornwall inherited the property in 1980 but had let the property as a holiday home until 2007. Trading Standards officers prosecuted Hilary Thompson following the tragic death by electrocution of Thirza Whittal.

Mrs Whittal died just days after she moved into the village with her husband. The property was let on a short hold tenancy agreement and was let furnished. "It was supplied furnished so the electrical appliances should have been safe" said prosecuter Emma Northey.

It’s a useful reminder to landlords that although electrical inspections are not compulsory (although in selective license areas they are usually insisted upon) that landlords are responsible for the electrical installation and appliances in rented property.

Anyone can become a PAT Tester, so don't be fooled into thinking a qualified electrician has to do it. It is affordable and easy to become a PAT Tester. Whether you want to make a career from PAT Testing, or you just want to do the odd job to avoid such incidents, our courses will be able to provide you with that.

Please click here to see our scheduled PAT Testing courses

posted on: 30 Mar 2011



Months Archive